How to Migrate from OpenCart to WordPress
OpenCart is a wise option for choosing an open-source ecommerce platform to build your online store. It’s more suitable for small to medium-sized businesses and is an excellent choice for merchants who want to take advantage of multi-channel selling.
WooCommerce is currently the most popular platform among merchants, and that is not going to change anytime soon. It is a fully functional ecommerce system that allows creating a unique online store with endless customization.
Both OpenCart and WooCommerce are two of the most popular open-source ecommerce solutions. However, WooCommerce is the preferred solution that OpenCart users opt for store migration. So How to Migrate from OpenCart to WooCommerce? Let’s find out!
How to Migrate from OpenCart to WooCommerce?
Moving to another platform is a major change for an online store because you’re going to change the whole structure of the website. You don’t want to spend hundreds of hours just to fix bugs if you go in the wrong direction. Therefore, it is critical to find an efficient and time-saving way to migrate all your data.
You can choose among three ways to migrate your website.
- Migrate from OpenCart to WooCommerce (Manually)
It’s basically you doing all the work. Depending on your site’s data, the job could take weeks or even months to complete.
This is not a good option for those with little to no technical knowledge. However, the optimal side of this option is that you will get complete control of the data and customize your site proactively.
Follow the steps below to manually migrate an OpenCart store to WooCommerce.
- Set up the WooCommerce store, complete with compatible themes and the set of plugins you require for the business.
- At the OpenCart store, install the free Export/Import tool for OpenCart. This will generate an Excel file or a CSV format. Ideally, this file has three parts: Products, Orders, Customers.
- At the WooCommerce store, install two free extensions: Order Export & Order Import for WooCommerce and Import Export WooCommerce Customers.
- Start the migration process by importing the Products at the WooCommerce store: WooCommerce > Products > Import
- Next, use the extensions to import the orders and customers to the WooCommerce store.
- Confirm that all data has been imported successfully and that everything checks out.
Optionally, you can now deactivate the extensions that you do not need anymore.
- Hire a Developer to Do the Job
This method requires you to work with a third-party expert. A developer will be in charge of exporting data from OpenCart and importing it into WooCommerce, fixing bugs, and restructuring your new site.
Depending on the complexity of your project, the expense for developers will be in the range of 50$-250$ per hour. This is an acceptable way to perform your migration.
- Use an Automated Migration Tool
Don’t want to do all the work yourself and are not even willing to pay hefty amounts to a developer? The third and most recommended option is to use an automated tool for migrating OpenCart to WooCommerce.
The automated migration tool will automatically access and collect all the data you need and import it into your new WooCommerce store. It helps to simplify the process while producing the best result.
However, the Migration tool only transfer some data and you need to customize your site proactively manually./.